Who We Are
The Society of Women Engineers is a non-profit, educational, service organization dedicated to supporting women engineers and encouraging young women to consider an engineering education. Geographically, section membership is spread Calabassas to Long Beach; from Pomona and La Canada to the Pacific Ocean. Our membership is most densely located in the South Bay, the Verdugos, San Gabriel Valley, and San Fernando Valley.
Our mission is to stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity.
With over 900 members, the Los Angeles Section is one of the largest of the Society’s 400+ sections!
Los Angeles Section Strategic Goals for FY23
The Los Angeles Section goals and strategic objectives mirror the SWE Society Goals and Strategic Objectives. Our goals are revisited annually at the July Strategic Planning Meeting.
- Continue to Build Membership Participation
- Increase engagement as one of the largest sections in the country
- Providing events that are inclusive and engaging for our entire membership
- Continuously grow our committees and involvement to build a pipeline for leadership and growth opportunities
Strengthen External and Internal Communication
- SWE-LA Calendar + regular posts across social media platforms
Professional Excellence: SWE will be recognized as a global, inclusive organization, promoting diversity and inclusion and serving women engineers wherever they are.
- Professional Development Conference – IN PERSON!
- Three “keystone” technical events (tours, talks, etc.)
- Collaboration with professional organizations (WIM, SHPE, SASE, NSBE, SAE, AAa/e, GWiS, etc.)
Advocacy: SWE will develop women engineers at all stages of their personal and professional lives.
- Collegiate scholarship program and fellowship program for Los Angeles area collegiate, and graduate / academia SWE sections
- Advocacy workshop
- Virtual / in-person outreach events
Globalization: SWE will advocate for the inclusion and success of women, present and prospective, in engineering and technology.
- Bi-monthly newsletters
- Up-to-date website, social media and calendar
- Professional society collaborations
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Collaborations with minority organizations
- DEIB moments during monthly EC meetings
- One event dedicated to DEIB (workshop, panel, talk)